Thursday, November 24, 2005

Secret Cheat Code in the new Lexus IS


From the sound of things, there may be an "easter egg" in the new Lexus IS. The IS electronic-traction-control system (called VDIM) can not be disabled using any sort of obvious switch. However:

1. (VDIM ON) As stated above, I set the parking brake and started the car. Pumped the brakes twice, set and reset the parking brake twice. I pumped the brakes twice more and the TRAC-OFF light came on the dash.

2. (VDIM OFF) From a stop, I turned right. I started slow but went to full throttle before I was fully into the turn. The RPMs went way up when it shifted to second and I felt I could hear the rear wheels losing traction, but it was not a "squeel".

3. (VDIM OFF) I found an emtpy parking lot. Stopped the car and turned the wheel all the way left. Went right to full throttle. The back end slid out and I did doughnuts. The wheels didnt "squeel", but the RPMs where up and the rear-end had 0 traction.


Autospies: Secret Cheat Code in the new Lexus IS

No comments: