Sunday, November 21, 2004

A recommendation for financial web sites



Click here for AmazonThe financial sites I visit on a regular basis are all missing a simple gadget that would dramatically (IMO) improve security. When I visit a financial site (e.g., a brokerage, bank, insurance company, etc.), I want to see the following message on the screen when I log in:

Hello, Doug. You last logged in on November 15, 2004 at 12:30PM ET from IP address 24.1.2.3.


With all of the phishing, keyboard logging and related scams underway on the 78% of machines polluted with some form of malware (warning: 78% is an unofficial guess), I think a no-nonsense confirmation of your last logon is well worthwhile.

It's in everyone's best interests to implement this relatively simple facility. And it's only the bad actors who would want to omit it.

Spreadsheets on the web



More info on Excel Web functionality: here.


No comments: